Pages

Monday, July 29

Through the Looking-Glass, and What Kaeda Sees There.

One thing was certain, that the white kitten had had nothing to do with it:—it was the black kitten's fault entirely. For the white kitten had been having its face washed by the old cat for the last quarter of an hour (and bearing it pretty well, considering); so you see that it couldn't have had any hand in the mischief.

Change a few words and the line could have been written by some sovereign 0.0 mouthpiece on Kugutsumen, elaborating on how his alliance was totally not involved and -in fact- couldn't have been in the latest bout of 0.0 mischief (PL in particular seems to enjoy washing it's hands of things in this fashion).

I truly enjoy reading Kugu, almost religiously everyday when I come home from work I read all the new posts even when I'm not playing EVE at the time, it's Kaeda in wonderland spending time on the other side of the mirror.

Sovereign 0.0 is just that to me, the other side of the mirror where it does indeed seem to become 'real' to many of it's residents. People get very, very serious about the game of EVE once they join a sovblock it seems. From line-members to the upper echelons of command to the conspiracy theorists that think (that the mostly very gainfully employed) overlords of entities like the CFC and PL are all really just doing it for RMT dollars, these people take EVE very very seriously.

And it is fascinating! I enjoy EVE a lot, I spend way more time in EVE then I should, I have been accused by people of being a walking mechanics encyclopaedia and have travelled to Iceland twice because of it. Yet I have never taken EVE *that* seriously. I also suspect I'm incapable of taking it quite so seriously for I never escape a mild sense of wonder when reading Kugu. I know I'm not the only outsider who finds the woes and wiles of 0.0 fascinating, people like for example Mord Fiddle seem to spend large amounts of time submerging themselves in them.

But I'm always happy that when I'm done reading Kugu and log into game that I get to return to my side of the mirror, Calamitous-Intent is by far the most serious lowsec entity I've ever been a member of (seriously I spend time shooting shield at a tower yesterday...). However compared to the very serious business of sovereign 0.0, lowsec is a veritable garden of live flowers. But sometimes I do wonder what the lowsec garden would look like from the top of the sovereign 0.0 hill. I just can't bring myself to follow that path.

Oh I forgot to mention there's no real point to this blog! I was just reading #tweetfleet on twitter in the aftermath of 6VDT and a comment by @Freebooted (Mat Westhorpe) stood out to me and compelled me to write this ramble. Sorry for wasting your time ;-)


1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure how seriously I take EVE. I don't get upset with propaganda from the other side ... and am usually amused by it. I certainly love to see great propaganda, no matter who is delivering it.

    I certainly like engaging in the agitprop myself.

    I guess it is for others to decide how super serious I am or not. I like to think I take the entire experience in with a grin.

    ReplyDelete